Please select or use the information below in a manner that would most suit your particular audience:
- Father James Mallon studied Biochemistry at Dalhousie University for two years in Halifax before entering the Seminary of Christ the King where he completed a B.A. in Philosophy. Father James studied Theology at St. Augustine’s Seminary and the Toronto School of Theology. He received a M.Div from St. Augustine’s and an STB from Saint Paul University in Ottawa in 1997.
- Father James was ordained to the priesthood in 1997 for the Archdiocese of Halifax.
- From 1997 until 2000 Father James was the assistant priest at Saint Mary’s Cathedral Basilica in Halifax. During this time he also served as the Archdiocesan Master of Ceremonies.
- From 2000 until 2004 Father James served as the half-time Archdiocesan Vocations Director. Between 2000 and 2001 he was administrator of St. Paul’s Parish in Herring Cove and from 2001 until 2004 Father James was the named pastor of St. Paul’s in Herring Cove and of St. Peter’s in Ketch Harbour.
- In 2004 Father James was appointed pastor of St. Thomas Aquinas Parish in Halifax and the following year was also appointed pastor of the neighbouring Canadian Martyrs Parish. In 2007, after leading a process of amalgamation, Father James was named the pastor of the newly established parish of St. Thomas Aquinas Canadian Martyrs.
- In August of 2010 Father James was appointed pastor of Saint Benedict Parish in Halifax where he served until June of 2017.
- In July of 2017, Fr James was appointed Episcopal Vicar for Parish Renewal and Leadership Support for the Archdiocese of Halifax-Yarmouth, Nova Scotia on a half-time basis. He also served the Divine Renovation Ministry with the other half of his time during this period.
- In August 2020, Fr James was appointed pastor of Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish, Dartmouth, N.S. He continues to serve the Archdiocese of Halifax-Yarmouth in an advisory role for Parish Renewal and Leadership Support. Fr James also continues to serve the Divine Renovation Ministry with a portion of his time.
Father James’ other ministry involvements have included or include the following:
- Founder (2005) and Chair of the Board of the JP II Media Institute, a registered charitable organization that served the Church through the creation of media that builds up the Kingdom of God
- A founder of Our Lady of Schools Catholic School in 2002
- Seasonal Lecturer at the University of King’s College in Halifax, from 1998 until 2001
- Systematic Theology Lecturer in the Koinonia Program of the Archdiocese of Halifax-Yarmouth from 2009 to 2011
- Catholic Liaison for the Year 2000 Halifax Power to Change Campaign
- Catholic Consultant for the BIlly Graham Evangelistic Association from 2004 to 2005
- Author of “Benedict and the Reform of the Reform,” in Reform and Renewal in Contemporary Christianity, St. Peter’s Publications, 2006
- Author and creator of “Catholicism 201”, an eight-week video catechetical resource released in 2006 and running in 24 countries in four languages
- Director and presenter of “Dogmatic Theology”, an eight-week video-based course on Christian discipleship which was released in 2011 and is currently airing on EWTN and Salt and Light Television
- Producer and Director of “In the Beginning: Evidence of God from Physics”, a four-week video series featuring Father Robert Spitzer, S.J. which was released in 2012
- Producer and Director of the documentary “The Mi’kmaq Nation: A Story of Survival” which was released in 2012
- Executive Producer & Director of the documentary “Cedars, Strong & Free: Halifax’s Lebanese Community” released in 2013
- Executive Producer and Host of “Cross Training”, a thirteen-week television series on EWTN, which assists those aspiring to personal holiness through the care and nourishment of body, mind and soul.
- Author of Divine Renovation: From a Maintenance to a Missional Parish
- Executive Producer and Host of Grandparents, an eleven-week television series on EWTN, which seeks to affirm the unique and necessary vocation of Grandparents.
- Participating author in Beautiful Mercy, Beacon Publishing, 2015. Chapter 13 – See “Scandalous Mercy”.
- Author of the Divine Renovation Guidebook, a step by step manual for transforming your parish.
Co-author of Unlocking Your Parish, an inspiring read on Alpha as a tool for evangelization.
- Author of Beyond The Parish, exploring the relationship between parishes and dioceses in the evangelizing mission of the Church.
- Co-chair of the board of Divine Renovation Ministry.
- Board member of Alpha Canada
- Board member of Renewal Ministries Canada
- Chaplain for the Equestrian Order of the Knights of the Holy Sepulchre